Creating an outdoor living space is a great way to create more space in your home for living and entertaining. It can also significantly increase the value of your home and serve as a hot selling point if you put your house on the market. But it is an investment, one that you shouldn't take lightly. Here are 5 things to think about before you begin building your new space:
- How will you use it? Be realistic with yourself. Will you really use your outdoor space to host large parties, or is it more for your personal use? What activities need to be available? An outdoor kitchen is perfect for families who will cook outside, but it is unnecessary if you plan on using your outdoor space as a seating area. If you want to watch sports, you'll need to figure out where you will install outlets and where to place the TV to minimize glare from the sun. Think about everything you will do in your new space before taking another step.
- Specific challenges: Now that you know what you want out of your outdoor living space, it's time to look closely at your space and consider any challenges specific to your land. How does the sun hit throughout the day? Are there any drainage issues? How close are the neighbors, and do you need to install a fence or other barrier to maintain privacy?
- Focal point: What do you want guests and yourself to focus on in your new space? If you have a spectacular view, you'll want to make sure to arrange your furniture to optimize that feature. In addition, you can consider if there are any landscaping issues blocking the view that need to be taken care of at this early stage.
- Utility planning: Before taking another step, you need to know where you will run gas lines, electrical wiring, and a water line and sewer if you are planning on including a sink. Plan ahead here. If you aren't planning on installing a sink now but think you may want one in the future, you will need to plan ahead now to avoid headaches later on.
- Choose a professional: Now that the grunt work is done, it's time for the fun part--getting a design! Going with a professional can save you time and money now and down the road. A professional will give you the best ideas for how to use and arrange your outdoor living space. In addition, a professional will be able to foresee any problems now and any that may arise in the future, saving you money along the way.
For more information on how we can help you start construction on your new outdoor living space, contact us today! Or check out these other helpful resources on our blog.
- 8 Things to consider when building your porch
- 6 Things to consider when building your deck
- 8 Things to prepare before meeting with a contractor
The place to come to learn more about low maintenance outdoor living.
This blog is all about outdoor living spaces that feature decks, porches, patios and other accessories. We will discuss maintenance tips, design ideas and best products. Check back often for more resources on the how to make your backyard an place everyone wants to visit.
- Best decking prodcuts
- Design ideas to maximize space
- Creating a outdoor living oasis